Understanding the code!

Albinal
I've had a dabble with Papervision and I see it's huge potential. Unfortunately, I'm having problems understanding some things. I'm more of a designer than a programmer so this is probably my problem. However...

I can bring in a 3D model and rotate it and move it:
http://www.albinal.com/papervision/brickboy/

I understand that if I name my scene I can access and alter parts of it:
PVScene.collada.rotationX += mouseYPos;

I can also access the camera and make it point at my object:
PVScene.camera.lookAt(PVScene.collada);

I don't know why the faces seem to disappear. I did a post a while back but didn't get a response:
http://www.nabble.com/Faces-disappearing-td13946587.html#a13946587

I kind of gave-up after that but I want to learn this as I think I could do some cool stuff with it.

I don't understand how to have more than one 3D model in a scene and how to talk to them individually.

I don't understand how to make a 3D room rather than a model to look at. I can't seem to get the camera inside the room?!?

I don't understand how to make parts of the scene clickable.

I don't know how to access and change the texture of a model.

What are SVN branches and how do you use them?

The list goes on...

It seems that more people on here do everything in code rather than the PV3D panel in Flash?!?

I am after some advice for a non-programmer. I built my website (http://www.albinal.com) in AS3 so I know the basics of how to access and change things in Flash and I know 3D modelling, so now I need to marry the two up! I can't seem to find a good guide or explanation about Papervision and a lot of the stuff I read just goes over my head.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Understanding the code!

Roy Wiggins

On Jan 16, 2008 4:12 AM, Albinal <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've had a dabble with Papervision and I see it's huge potential.
Unfortunately, I'm having problems understanding some things. I'm more of a
designer than a programmer so this is probably my problem. However...

I can bring in a 3D model and rotate it and move it:
http://www.albinal.com/papervision/brickboy/

I understand that if I name my scene I can access and alter parts of it:
PVScene.collada.rotationX += mouseYPos;

I can also access the camera and make it point at my object:
PVScene.camera.lookAt(PVScene.collada);

I don't know why the faces seem to disappear. I did a post a while back but
didn't get a response:
http://www.nabble.com/Faces-disappearing-td13946587.html#a13946587
It's the good old Painter's Algorithm: depth sorting is done at a fairly simple level and often faces get drawn out of order. Nevertheless it's the easiest and fastest way to do it. The simplest way to fix it is to just subdivide the model into more faces.

I kind of gave-up after that but I want to learn this as I think I could do
some cool stuff with it.

I don't understand how to have more than one 3D model in a scene and how to
talk to them individually.

myDae = new Dae("meep.dae");
myDae2 = new Dae(" meep2.dae");
scene.addChild(myDae);
scene.addChild(myDae2);

myDae.x = 50
myDae2.yaw( 90 );

I don't understand how to make a 3D room rather than a model to look at. I
can't seem to get the camera inside the room?!?

You can build a room in Blender or 3ds max, import it as a dae and (as long as it's big enough) stick the camera inside.

I don't understand how to make parts of the scene clickable.
Not sure of this myself, I haven't gotten into interactivity.

I don't know how to access and change the texture of a model.
mat = new ColorMaterial(0xFF0000);
dae.replaceMaterialByName(mat, "daeMat"); // Turns daeMat a lurid red. You might have to delve into the collada file (it's just xml) for the actual name of the material, often it's something like picture_jpg

What are SVN branches and how do you use them?

SVN basically is a "repository" holding every single past version of papervision, plus a number of "branches" which may have different features or be buggy. Usually projects have a designated "safe" and a designated development branch: right now the only AS3 branch in SVN is GreatWhite which is still alpha. It's most easily accessed by using TortoiseSVN which will set up a papervision folder which you can periodically refresh to get the newest version.

The list goes on...

It seems that more people on here do everything in code rather than the PV3D
panel in Flash?!?

My examples are meant to work in GreatWhite's code method of instantiating Papervision, but should work with the component too.  The nice thing about setting up and controlling it directly is that it gives more flexibility. A basic papervision document class is really easy to set up, check this out:
http://pv3d.org/2007/12/14/3-creating-a-pv3d-20-skeleton-class/

You're right though, this list is more oriented toward programmers than designers. Check around on pv3d.org for more tutorials if you haven't already, they look to be a good source of information (especially in the absence of any 2.0 docs).

I am after some advice for a non-programmer. I built my website
(http://www.albinal.com) in AS3 so I know the basics of how to access and
change things in Flash and I know 3D modelling, so now I need to marry the
two up! I can't seem to find a good guide or explanation about Papervision
and a lot of the stuff I read just goes over my head.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Understanding the code!

Joe-179
Roy, could you enlighten me on what IDE that is on pv3d.org?

My guess is VS, however I haven't been able to find any kind of documentation on it. If not/so, can you give me something to go on as to figure out what it is?

-Joe

Re: Understanding the code!

Roy Wiggins
VS? pv3d.org's examples should be compilable in either FlashDevelop, Flex or Adobe CS3.

On Jan 16, 2008 7:01 PM, Joe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roy, could you enlighten me on what IDE that is on pv3d.org?

My guess is VS, however I haven't been able to find any kind of documentation on it. If not/so, can you give me something to go on as to figure out what it is?

-Joe

Re: Understanding the code!

John Lindquist
Joe,

If you go way back in the tutorial list to tutorial #0, I show how to set up FlashDevelop with the Flex SDK to get your started.

Re: Understanding the code!

Albinal
Thanks Roy. This was really helpful. I originally downloaded the mxp components file so I was not adding models to my scene through code... I've downloaded the 1.5 classes now so have a much better understanding... I have even got the SVN files of great white... woo hoo!

Now I have a headache!

Roy Wiggins wrote
On Jan 16, 2008 4:12 AM, Albinal <elyeball@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had a dabble with Papervision and I see it's huge potential.
> Unfortunately, I'm having problems understanding some things. I'm more of
> designer than a programmer so this is probably my problem. However...
>
> I can bring in a 3D model and rotate it and move it:
> http://www.albinal.com/papervision/brickboy/
>
> I understand that if I name my scene I can access and alter parts of it:
> PVScene.collada.rotationX += mouseYPos;
>
> I can also access the camera and make it point at my object:
> PVScene.camera.lookAt(PVScene.collada);
>
> I don't know why the faces seem to disappear. I did a post a while back
> but
> didn't get a response:
> http://www.nabble.com/Faces-disappearing-td13946587.html#a13946587

It's the good old Painter's Algorithm: depth sorting is done at a fairly
simple level and often faces get drawn out of order. Nevertheless it's the
easiest and fastest way to do it. The simplest way to fix it is to just
subdivide the model into more faces.

> I kind of gave-up after that but I want to learn this as I think I could
> do
> some cool stuff with it.
>
> I don't understand how to have more than one 3D model in a scene and how
> talk to them individually.

myDae = new Dae("meep.dae");
myDae2 = new Dae("meep2.dae");
scene.addChild(myDae);
scene.addChild(myDae2);

myDae.x = 50
myDae2.yaw( 90 );

> I don't understand how to make a 3D room rather than a model to look at. I
> can't seem to get the camera inside the room?!?

You can build a room in Blender or 3ds max, import it as a dae and (as long
as it's big enough) stick the camera inside.

> I don't understand how to make parts of the scene clickable.

Not sure of this myself, I haven't gotten into interactivity.

> I don't know how to access and change the texture of a model.

mat = new ColorMaterial(0xFF0000);
dae.replaceMaterialByName(mat, "daeMat"); // Turns daeMat a lurid red. You
might have to delve into the collada file (it's just xml) for the actual
name of the material, often it's something like picture_jpg

> What are SVN branches and how do you use them?

SVN basically is a "repository" holding every single past version of
papervision, plus a number of "branches" which may have different features
or be buggy. Usually projects have a designated "safe" and a designated
development branch: right now the only AS3 branch in SVN is GreatWhite which
is still alpha. It's most easily accessed by using TortoiseSVN which will
set up a papervision folder which you can periodically refresh to get the
newest version.

> The list goes on...
>
> It seems that more people on here do everything in code rather than the
> PV3D
> panel in Flash?!?

My examples are meant to work in GreatWhite's code method of instantiating
Papervision, but should work with the component too.  The nice thing about
setting up and controlling it directly is that it gives more flexibility. A
basic papervision document class is really easy to set up, check this out:
http://pv3d.org/2007/12/14/3-creating-a-pv3d-20-skeleton-class/

You're right though, this list is more oriented toward programmers than
designers. Check around on pv3d.org for more tutorials if you haven't
already, they look to be a good source of information (especially in the
absence of any 2.0 docs).

> I am after some advice for a non-programmer. I built my website
> (http://www.albinal.com) in AS3 so I know the basics of how to access and
> change things in Flash and I know 3D modelling, so now I need to marry the
> two up! I can't seem to find a good guide or explanation about Papervision
> and a lot of the stuff I read just goes over my head.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Understanding the code!

KieranD
Hi Roy,

Just in regardss to your previous reply to this post

"I don't understand how to make a 3D room rather than a model to look at. I
can't seem to get the camera inside the room?

You can build a room in Blender or 3ds max, import it as a dae and (as long as it's big enough) stick the camera inside. "

I have bulit a room in blender and exported it using the collada exporter. I have then loaded the model into the papervision scene. My question is how can I get the camera inside this model? Thanks for your help so far.

Regards
Kieran