Re: molehill

Carlos Nazareno
Unity3D needs to make a tool to export to Flash/Molehill.

Unity's does cross-platform export anyway, and just like Flash's current
3D capabilities, Molehill looks like it's more of an under-the-hood
technology which is no replacement for stuff like Papervision,
Alternativa, Away3D.

As for penetration, Flash is king in the browser. When you're talking
about standalone commercial games/native apps though Unity's bigger for
3D - aside from Windows/Mac, it also exports to Wii, iOS, Android, XBox
& Playstation 360.

That being said, any chance the PV3D team, will start working on it
again and integrate molehill capabilities?

Would be a shame if not, as one of the pioneering 3D engines.

-Naz

--
Carlos Nazareno
http://www.object404.com

Re: molehill

tomsamson

On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Carlos Nazareno wrote:

> Unity3D needs to make a tool to export to Flash/Molehill.

-->heck no. Why should unity degrade itself to become a flash player middleware? That would hurt their own plugin penetration figures (again, not that plugin penetration figures matter that much anymore for things like 3D content) and worse: strengthen their main competitor in the web field (not in terms of capabilities but in terms of usage for games). Also no matter how its done it would probably require quite some work. Time and energy that could be much better spent for other things.
I hear such things from flash developers in between, like also popular: Adobe should buy Unity.
But seriously, whom besides Adobe and people never wanting to leave the flash space (no matter if its good or bad for a particular use case) would that help?
Competition is good because it leads to better products, so yeah, Adobe should try getting their own stuff together, charge less for their tools, support more platforms in better way etc, not try a move like with Macromedia again. After all these years, besides better import for photoshop files i don´t remember much positive the "merger" with Adobe brought to the Macromedia products.

> That being said, any chance the PV3D team, will start working on it again and integrate molehill capabilities?

-->John already said they´d update it once Adobe is ready with their stuff and it looks like there´s a proper gain from it.