Poor collada performance

Creighton, Gerry

I have a Papervision project that has three samples that load .DAE files and when running these samples the FPS drops from 60 to 2-7 after everything has loaded.
After loading the .DAE files I removed all listeners but was wondering if there were any tips on improving performance...?
My samples load swf artwork then I copy parts of the artwork to use on different panels in the 3D objects.
I used BulkLoader to load all artwork then after each bitmap is created I call a function to remove the loaded artwork from memory using BulkLoader.removeAll();
I tried using dispose() for each .dae file loaded but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Gerry

Re: Poor collada performance

Mark I. Ross

Dude, you have like 8000 polys in a CD case - WAY too much.

you want to get that down in the hundreds, definitely no more than a
thousand, to run well.  Not sure why you have so much geometry for such a
simple object??  isn't that basically a squished cube?

Basically, comes down to, your model is too complex!

Cheers,
mark

> I have a Papervision project that has three samples that load .DAE files
> and when running these samples the FPS drops from 60 to 2-7 after
> everything has loaded.
> After loading the .DAE files I removed all listeners but was wondering if
> there were any tips on improving performance...?
> My samples load swf artwork then I copy parts of the artwork to use on
> different panels in the 3D objects.
> I used BulkLoader to load all artwork then after each bitmap is created I
> call a function to remove the loaded artwork from memory using
> BulkLoader.removeAll();
> I tried using dispose() for each .dae file loaded but that doesn't seem to
> make a difference.
> Any tips would be helpful.
>

> http://lab.discmakers.com/flash/cdproofer/crappyFPS.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Gerry

Re: Poor collada performance

Creighton, Gerry
If you're talking about the Jewel Case sample, It's a Sketchup model broken in to 3 .dae files, I'll take a look at that and simplify.

Thanks,
-Gerry

On Nov 5, 2010, at 8:44 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dude, you have like 8000 polys in a CD case - WAY too much.
>
> you want to get that down in the hundreds, definitely no more than a
> thousand, to run well.  Not sure why you have so much geometry for such a
> simple object??  isn't that basically a squished cube?
>
> Basically, comes down to, your model is too complex!
>
> Cheers,
> mark
>

>> I have a Papervision project that has three samples that load .DAE files
>> and when running these samples the FPS drops from 60 to 2-7 after
>> everything has loaded.
>> After loading the .DAE files I removed all listeners but was wondering if
>> there were any tips on improving performance...?
>> My samples load swf artwork then I copy parts of the artwork to use on
>> different panels in the 3D objects.
>> I used BulkLoader to load all artwork then after each bitmap is created I
>> call a function to remove the loaded artwork from memory using
>> BulkLoader.removeAll();
>> I tried using dispose() for each .dae file loaded but that doesn't seem to
>> make a difference.
>> Any tips would be helpful.
>>

>> http://lab.discmakers.com/flash/cdproofer/crappyFPS.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Gerry

Gerry Creighton
Flash Developer
Disc Makers Inc.
www.discmakers.com
1-800-468-9353 ext. 5101

Re: Poor collada performance

Mark I. Ross
Yeah, I was referring to <a href="javascript:;" onclick=" triggerOpen('CD401_OUT','http://lab.discmakers.com/selfservicequoter/Assets/13058542/projects/17077713/Output/SWF/',['CDR410','CD401_In','CD401_Out','CDT101_Out'],'CD','PKG120-00002') ">Jewel Case - Four Panel Insert, W/CDR400

Also  for what you are doing there you don't need a whole 3d framework like pv3d.  you could easily do that with the 3d transformations they added in Flash Player 10 - and a darn sight quicker as well  :)

Cheers,
mark

Creighton, Gerry wrote:
[...]

Gerry-32
You're probably right on the FP10 transformations. I load the artwork dynamically though and cut it up then build the 3D parts. I'm not familiar with
doing it with in the Flash IDE so since I had used PV3D in the past I went with what was familiar.
Today I did cut down the Sketchup 3D parts and it's faster for what is done, I have to complete a couple more objects and will upload the updated
swf.

Thanks for the pointers.

-Gerry