Magnifying Glass effect on Cube material?

Magnifying Glass effect on Cube material?

Kevin Burke
Hi,
I have a cube with a material on the front face. I'm trying to create a magnifying glass in 2D for the 3D cube. Can anyone offer a suggestion for how to achieve this? I was thinking I might try to find the UV under the mouse in an OBJECT_OVER InteractiveScene3DEvent and somehow get the bitmap from the material, mask it, and move it around in relation to the mouse position- mimicking a magnifying effect. How to do that, I have no clue. :-P Any ideas?

Re: Magnifying Glass effect on Cube material?

Huge Ontoman
Good day,

i would take a plane with the material applied, do another scene/render-window of higher resolution, and mask that. The camera You need to render this new scene should be in the same position as the old one, and move the lookAt target to the coords You get from the mouse. As far i remember there where methods in one of the classes to get screen-coords to world-coords (i may be wrong on this one).
Depending on if You move the camera or the cube of Yours around, You have to translate the camera or the new mapped plane...
Does this make sense to You?

cheers,
huge.

> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:15:54 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Papervision3D] Magnifying Glass effect on Cube material?
>

> Hi,
> I have a cube with a material on the front face. I'm trying to create a
> magnifying glass in 2D for the 3D cube. Can anyone offer a suggestion for
> how to achieve this? I was thinking I might try to find the UV under the
> mouse in an OBJECT_OVER InteractiveScene3DEvent and somehow get the bitmap
> from the material, mask it, and move it around in relation to the mouse
> position- mimicking a magnifying effect. How to do that, I have no clue. :-P
> Any ideas?

Re: Magnifying Glass effect on Cube material?

makc
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Kevin Burke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a cube with a material on the front face. I'm trying to create a
> magnifying glass in 2D for the 3D cube. Can anyone offer a suggestion for
> how to achieve this? I was thinking I might try to find the UV under the
> mouse in an OBJECT_OVER InteractiveScene3DEvent and somehow get the bitmap
> from the material, mask it, and move it around in relation to the mouse
> position- mimicking a magnifying effect. How to do that, I have no clue. :-P
> Any ideas?

you could apply filter to whole viewport, similar to this:
http://wonderfl.net/c/u1tP

Re: Magnifying Glass effect on Cube material?

Kevin Burke
You both have given me some GREAT ideas. Thank you VERY much for your replies. Very kind of you. I will post my results.